Monday, November 1, 2010

Speculist Survey

Over at the Speculist blog, there's a poll which asks which technology will see the biggest single technological leap in the next 20 years.   I voted, but left no comment.  I voted energy because I think it will have the greatest impact over events.  If the energy problem isn't solved, then a lot of things are going to get bogged down.  Biotech (genetic research) may give answers to the energy problem, that could be my second choice.

Space gets the fewest votes.  Nanotech leads.  Genetic research is next.  Energy is in third.

What happens in the space field depends a lot of what government does.  If government doesn't support it, it won't amount to much.  If the Republicans win the midterms as expected, government cuts could bring some big changes to NASA.

Nanotech is fashionable, but I don't don't follow it closely.  I want to look into that area, though.

Artificial intelligence gets some votes.  The comment there was pretty interesting.  If you can make smarter people by using machines, then you just may speed up progress.  Yet, it doesn't seem to be happening.  If it is, I must be missing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment