Thursday, January 20, 2011

Catepillar drives

Remember the movie "The Hunt for Red October"?   It was about a new submarine with an advanced propulsion system that was so quiet, it couldn't be detected.  This made it a great military threat, so the good guys, meaning US, had to figure out a way to deal with the threat.

Well, I was perusing JP Aerospace's blog and they appear to be working on an MHD, which means a magnetohydrodynamic drive or catepillar.  This is going to be their rocket motor that takes them to space. Well, I am only guessing that this is the case.  What I read is a number of posts on the subject of testing an MHD.  The name seemed to ring a bell, so I did a bit of digging around and found this site that explains what it is.

I don't know how this will turn out, but it should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment