Tuesday, December 11, 2018

off-grid post, 12.11.18 ( cabin or trailer ? )

There has been  a long debate with myself about what I would build out there.  It would come down to cabin, or cover for the trailer.

There are a lot of pros and cons.  For example, if I were to use the trailer, I would save a lot of money and effort in building out an entire building.  But the downside to that is that the trailer is not as secure as a cabin.  What concerns me is that someone could steal it when I left it there.  Since my idea is to work a bit in El Paso, that means it could be days in which I would not be there.  In that event, any thief would have an opportunity to steal it without my knowledge ( until it is too late ).

The idea to deal with potential theft would be to take the trailer with me when I go to El Paso.  There are a lot of complications in that option.  It would not save much, if any, money, and it would take a lot of effort.

On the other hand, if a cabin were built, it would be secure from theft ( as to the building itself).

What are the downsides of the cabin?  It would probably cost more.  It would need fixtures, whereas the trailer already has those that I need.

What about a compromise of sorts?  I could build a cover for the trailer, and if things worked out, I could make the trailer more permanent so as to secure it.

An idea occurred to me to build a cabin, and then take the trailer out there.  But what about a cover for it?  In the long run, I would have to build both, or dispose of the trailer.

If I were to make the trailer more permanent, why not wall it in?  Before walling it in, and making it more permanent, I would have the flexibility to change my mind if things didn't work out.

So, I am leaning in the direction of making the cover for the trailer, and making it permanent eventually.  It could give me an opportunity to do a "shake-down" cruise of the new structure, and see if things will work out before making any final commitments.

I may be able to secure a rental spot in an RV park in El Paso for a competitive rate.  Whatever I spend on that, however, will be more than what I spend now, because I get my current spot for no charge.

You can't beat that price, but it has its downsides as well.  "You pays your money and you takes your chances".  Kinda like life itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment