Sunday, January 26, 2020

off-grid post, 1.26.20



There's not much posting here lately.  Well, here's a post to keep this blog going.

The off-grid project is a go.  In fact, the lack of posting is not an indication of quitting
the project.

I try to do a little bit every day.  Maybe that is exaggerating a bit, though.  I try to
plan a little every day. 

There are two plans for projects that are in the works, but like everything else, it is on
hold for now.  The ladder project has been in the planning stage for over a month.  The
current plan is to place it on the west side of the trailer, near the rear bumper.

I think that location is the best.  It shouldn't take this long to come to that conclusion,
but that is only because I don't spend enough time planning.

The other plan is a tentative one as well.  I have decided to revisit the Quonset concept.

I'd like to use concrete for the roof, but that is very heavy and messy stuff.  There are
tradeoffs for everything, though.  If I were to use a tarp again, it cannot be exposed to
the elements.  That means a square outer perimeter, with a sturdier exterior that can
withstand the elements.  Metal siding is a possibility.  There are other options.

Since it will need a sturdy exterior and a frame, why not use the tarp?  It doesn't have
to be a cattle panel either, but that is pretty strong stuff.  The problem with cattle-panel
for a ceiling is that it may move around.  It needs to be secured so that it doesn't move.

A possibility is to use insulation between the inner ceiling and the outer roof.  Also,
the sides can be insulated as well.  There's plenty of space for insulation and dead space.

Why use a Quonset at all?  It is the quickest and easiest way to get a roof up.  However,
that is not the way it went the last time.  It was largely because of the tarp, though. 
The wind blew it all over the place, and it was just about impossible to get that thing
on top of the cattle panel.  Once I did get it on there, it wasn't very straight nor
pretty.

Secondly, a Quonset wouldn't be necessary if I used the trailer. 

That is a whole different thing right there.  Which brings me back to the Quonset.

A trailer needs to be towed out there.  It needs a cover, which entails a construction
project of its own.  Of course, I've been planning that one too.

A move out there is not contemplated unless it becomes necessary.  At the time, I am in
good shape here.

I continue to practice living like I'm off-grid without actually being off-grid.  I can
expand upon that if I were to buy some solar panels and batteries.  For the time being, I
am minimizing energy expenditures.  From that info, I can calculate the minimum power
to run the trailer once it is on the property.  Batteries and solar panels are expensive.





No comments:

Post a Comment