Saturday, August 10, 2019

Galvanized culvert pipe

Updated,

8.10.19:

This morning, I have been reviewing a few things, and I came across this post.  It so happens that I have been thinking about this concept from time-to-time, and the idea came to mind to implement it.

But do not use a metal pipe.  It could be possible with pvc piping.   The idea is to use an augur drill to dig down 8 feet or so.  In order to keep the sandy soil stable, I would use segments of pvc pipe one segment at a time as I drill down.  As I go deeper into the soil, I would add a segment, thereby lengthen the tube one segment at a time.

This would entail cutting the tube into shorter segments, and then refastening them as the hole gets deeper.

The augur bit will be narrower than the pvc pipe.  Remove the soil and use the lengthened pipe as a guide and as a soil stabilizer so that the job can get done.  I hope...

It may be a challenge getting the holes dug-out.  Perhaps I can think about this plan a bit more before I actually try it.


4.6.19:

Checking out what it would take to make a vertical geothermal for climate control.  Since the soil is sandy out there, it may be preferable to use galvanized culvert pipe in order to support the vertical holes.

But those aren't exactly cheap.  For a 12" in diameter culvert pipe of 10 feet in length, you would have to pay 150 bucks.  If I were to drill several of these, the cost would be commensurate with how many of the holes dug.

I don't know that I "dig" this idea that much anymore.  However, there is a certain appeal to not having to add electrical capacity in order to pay for a/c or heating.



No comments:

Post a Comment