Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Off-grid post, 2.27.19, Dogs, motorcycles, and sun

This is something of a catchall post of the off-the-grid type.

As for dogs, there is a pit bull in the neighborhood, and it does get your attention.  Fortunately, it is a friendly dog.  This breed of dog is very powerful.  One look at this animal, and it is scary looking.  But it is friendly.  The first time I ever saw this dog, I went inside the trailer, and I got my walking cane.  Didn't know if I needed to defend myself, but I suppose even a cane wouldn't help much against a dog this powerful.  I'm not kidding either.

Anyway, having a dog like this may be enough to scare away mountain lions and coyotes, but desperadoes?  A dog is no match for a well armed two legged coyote.  Know what I mean, Vern?

A couple dogs may be a good thing out there, but what breed of dog?  I have a recommendation mentioned to me, but I don't know if I even would want a dog.  Anyway, something to think about.

While I was up and about, I tried getting on a motorcycle.  I am so stiff that I cannot manage it.  Now, a motorcycle might be good to take around, particularly if it doesn't have an electric starter.  An electric starter requires a battery--- dead battery, and you're nowhere.  Using a motorcycle to get around may be handier than using a car or a van.  You may be able to navigate a bad road more easily with one.

Besides those two subjects, there may be a way to test my preparations for the summer.  There's some power line work going on around here, and they are removing trees.  Less shade means more sun.  More sun means more water consumption for my swamp cooler.  Let's see how it holds up this summer.  Last summer, it got up to 109 degrees F.   Without shade, that's murder inside this trailer.

It's been two weeks since I left for the trip.  It already seems like ancient history.


No comments:

Post a Comment