Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Off-grid post, 3.30.19 --- Bldg ideas continued

Updated,

4.2.19:

With respect to drilling any extra post holes, as outlined below, cost will have to taken into consideration.   Have to keep costs down.  Simply adding bracing in all directions would be the most cost effective idea.

3.30.19:

The theme for the time being is the notion that I am re-inventing the wheel, which is a big waste of time.  This project is slow enough without adding that one in, so let's try to correct that.

Before I started writing this I noted the following posts:


  1. concrete ideas  ( simplifying the slab )
  2. building ideas  ( elaborate ideas )
  3. pouring a slab
  4. Adobe bricks  ( where the idea originated )
Now I am thinking in terms of simplifying what became a rather time-consuming and big project.

How did it happen?  Well, I got the idea to use materials on site, began researching it, and then it grew too big.  Now I have to get something basic and doable.

While all that happened, I started reverting back to stuff I covered before on other categories.  That is getting ahead of myself.  There's nothing out there yet.  I cannot grow crops when I am 500 miles away from where I am ostensibly planning to grow them.

First things first.  The new things for this post is that 
  • May not want to pour so much concrete.
  • Will want to insulate the place, and it may be possible to do that.  Other plans may be too complex.  Best option here may be batting for the insulation, with some sheet rock covering it.


How to avoid pouring so much concrete?

It may be possible to brace the structure at the posts.  That is where I should concentrate on for now.

Updated:

I may have to dig as many as 28 holes.  That would still be a lot of concrete.  The latest idea is to make a "spoiler" like you see on cars.  It would ramp the air up and over the high profile travel trailer.  The need for this is the high winds in the area.  It wouldn't need 28 posts.  More accurately, the posts wouldn't be as high.  The braces would be at an angle, using the concrete post as support, and connecting near the roof area.  Thus, it would form a right triangle.  Once all sides are covered, it will look like a small hill of wood, which will cover the travel trailer.

If I ran this by my older brothers, I wonder what they would say?

Crude sketch of idea.  The middle portion is where the trailer goes.  This is a section, and there are five sections.  Each round circle is a post hole filled with concrete.  In front of this would be four more post holes that would lean into the main structure.  The effect would be to ramp up the wind up and over the structure in all directions.
Arrows point direction of wind forces.  Additional bracing is also added at the midpoints.



No comments:

Post a Comment