Monday, October 22, 2018

Tesla

One thing that I wish I could be is a guy like Elon Musk, and have the name and the money in order to put my version of an electric car on the road.

If I could, it wouldn't be a battery powered machine like his.  It would be a fuel cell car.

However, there's a good reason why fuel cells won't work.  The reason is because of the fuel problem.

The criticism against fuel cells that you hear out there is that there's no infrastructure.  No, infrastructure is not the problem.  You can transport hydrogen via ammonia.  Ammonia already has an infrastructure, so you can use that infrastructure to move the hydrogen around.

Another criticism you hear is the cost of the fuel cells themselves.  But that is not the problem either.  There is somebody who has already made fuel cell cars, and says you can make fuel cells comparably priced with respect to internal combustion engines.

I think the problem is that fuel cells make no sense unless the energy is supplied by nuclear power.  Nuclear power is out of favor, so that leaves fuel cells in the cold.

Using carbon based fuels for fuel cells is inefficient.  Most of the energy from fossil fuels is from oxidizing carbon.  If you take away the carbon, you lose a lot of the energy.  That means the cost of the energy must be higher in order to offset this loss.  Economically, it won't make sense.  However, nuclear power can be cheaper than coal, but is being regulated out of existence.

Nuclear power need not be out of favor.  But that is the way things are right now.  If that can be changed, then electric cars can succeed.  Tesla is not likely to succeed, so I have seen.

I could have said I told you so, but I didn't say I told you, so I can't say that.  But I suspected it, for whatever that is worth.


No comments:

Post a Comment