Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Doomsday City

Yesterday was an unusual day.  For a reason I cannot remember, something made me want to watch a video about the asteroid that is believed to have wiped out the dinosaurs.  Something about all this was a downer for me.  Why it was a downer is not clear to me.

Later on towards the evening, there was a Star Trek Next Generation episode, called the Inner Light, in which the captain lived a life apart from the Enterprise, and all forty years of that life happened in just 25 minutes.  The life he lived was of a civilization that was dying, and he was chosen to be a type of living memorial to their civilization.

It struck me as quite a coincidence for such similar thoughts.  Why not expand upon that a bit?

When I went to bed, I recorded a memo to myself about this day.  I wanted to see how I reacted to these ideas over night.  When I woke up, I had forgotten about what I recorded, but I did remember that I did record something.  So, I retrieved the recording, and decided to make a post about something I thought up after making the recording.

The idea was a city that was designed to survive Doomsday Scenarios.  The reason for existence of this city was to ensure that the human race continued in spite of a number of these scenarios taking place.

Then I remembered that such a city might already exist.  It is a NORAD facility, located inside of a mountain.  However, such a facility might not survive a nuclear war scenario, as it would be a prime target for enemy missiles.

However, in case of a massive asteroid strike, such a facility could allow a small population to survive for a time.  The thought occurred to me, could such a facility be useful for a long term stay of indefinite duration?

Could you grow your own food, process your own wastes, and live outside of the biosphere?  Such would be the necessity if the Earth's biosphere is shattered by an asteroid strike.  A similar situation would occur if you were to attempt to colonize Mars, or the Moon.  Therefore, why not re-purpose a facility to do research like this?  Would it not be valuable?  In case of the objections of the defense establishment, an entirely new one could be constructed.

A thought that an Ice Age could occur, and the place could become iced in.  Such would entomb the survivors forever, or until the ice sheet melted.  Therefore, the place could be in a tropical location, far away from any possibility of icing over.

Would such an idea ever catch on?

Update a little while later:

The idea here was not dissimilar to the Biosphere experiment, but different due to its proposed scale and purpose.

The Biosphere project could be useful in studying ways to survive long term in an environment that is closed off from the rest of the world.

Another update a little while later:

The Chinese have their own system, and they ate mealworms in their experiments.   They tried this on American space missions, I read, but the astronauts resisted.  ( lol )

Interesting links here.   Bottom line is that such a system as I envision is a very long way off.



No comments:

Post a Comment