Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Off-grid post, 3.12.19

Back to the glacial mode, it appears.  There has been this long gap between posts.  Not that I don't think about the project at all.  It just seems that I am spending a bit too much time on the other blog.

Lately, as I have written, I am considering an idea to use materials on site for construction.  Also, the idea to pore a slab has occurred to me.

So, do I want to pour a slab?  No.  Then, what is the new idea?  To pour small sections of concrete as opposed to large slabs.  For instance, rather than pour that big slab, and then put a cinder block wall structure on top of it, why not just use the pod idea, and some smaller slabs so as to incorporate both ideas?

If so, then I could lay down a 2'x32' "slab" on each side, and then pull the trailer between them.  After that, pour a 2'x12' slab in front and in back of the trailer, and then put up the cinder blocks all around the trailer.

Next to the cinder block structure, goes the solarium.  It won't feature a concrete slab floor.  Why pour all that concrete?  Perhaps another 2'x32' "slab" can be laid parallel to the others.  Post holes can still be dug that will be poured over, and will connect to the slab.  This will give something of an anchor to the whole structure, and make it a bit more stable.

The cinder blocks can be stacked no more than eight feet.  I don't want to go too high with it.  It may not get anywhere near that high.  Perhaps as few as two or three feet, then use metal to fill in the gaps for the walls.

Another idea was to dig a pit underneath, and that is where rainwater can be drained into.  That would be an important water source.  A 2'x8'x16' pit can store nearly 2k gallons of water.  The floor can be built above it.  Come to think of it, I could build the pit first, then install the rest of it around it.

Oh, one more idea.  I was thinking of using the roof as a solar distiller/ building cooler.  A glass covering for the roof over a shallow enclosure for some water to be evaporated, and condensed under the glass.  Rainwater will roll off the top of the glass into the pit below.

All of this I have written is off the top of my head.  It might help to make some drawings in order to visualize it better.  I have the basic drawings already.  These are modifications.  So, I've got that going for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment