Thursday, September 20, 2018

Off-grid post, 9.20.18 ( locating the last pin using GPS waypoints )

Back at work with these waypoints to Google map pics.  I think that I have gotten about as much out of this that can be gotten.

I made a couple plans to find the last pin.  There are six pins outlining the property lines, and I have located all but one of them.  The last one is the one most remote, so that partly explains things.

The last time I was on the property was in Feb 2016.  It has been a rough two and a half years.  But I digress.

When I went out there, one of the goals of that trip was to find that pin.  Obviously, I failed.  Upon review of what happened, I concluded that my skills with the Garmin needed improvement.  Not to mention that the estimated location of the last pin was probably off a bit.  Finally, the method of finding the last pin could have been improved upon.  This project is a culmination of that effort.  Hopefully, finding the last pin now will not prove to be too difficult.

Allow me to segue into something even more generic.  That is the subject of how to plan for such trips.  Each trip is costly because of the long distances involved, and all the costs associated with traveling have to be figured in.

Consequently, the tendency is to get too ambitious about what can be achieved on each trip.  I have taken a lot of stuff with me on some of these trips.  A lot of things like that have proven not to be very useful.

It is even more important now to maximize the utility of a trip due to financial constraints.  A reminder to myself here is to not let myself try to accomplish more than can be accomplished on this next trip.  That is to say, if a next trip even happens.

For this is not a high priority item in the budget.  The project is on hold for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment