Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Trailer v. Cabin


This post will go into the Construction subseries of the off-grid series of posts.

Since this is volume two of the off-grid series, I should mention that this is
the first of this subseries for volume two.

Up to this point, I haven't decided on how to proceed.  Unless there is something
built out there, nothing will ever come of this project.

At this point, there are two alternatives for building.  One is the cabin, and
the other is to bring my travel trailer out there.  There are pros and cons of
each plan, but no chance of doing both.

Consequently, a choice must be made at some point.  Of course, the choice could
ultimately be made to sit tight.  Let's call that plan C.

The reason for writing this post is that I have been thinking of systems and
procedures for implementing the construction plan.  One plan was to have myself
and my brother go out there and build a cabin quick and maybe dirty.  Maybe
you could call that plan B.  It is B because I am not counting on getting him
out there.  Secondly, I am not so sure, as he is, that everything can be done in
only one weekend.

Plan A could be to---take the trailer out there and start building the infra-
structure.  It would need a number of things that could be connected together
once it is all in place.  Whatever else needs to be done can be finished off
while living on the property.  I could do most of this myself, and then call
on my brother to finish the rest.

Plan A seems the simplest and easiest plan for moving.  Not to mention that I
could also get help with that as well as B.

The thing that causes me to hesitate is the security issue.  I am just not too
comfortable with leaving it out there for days at a time.

Plan C is the easiest of all plans, if that is the issue.  Also, the cheapest.
Basically, I have been following plan C.  Plan B seems least likely in some
respects.  The longer I wait, the less likely that I will build a cabin out
there.  If I go, it may well be with the trailer.  If I wait too long, no
move is likely at all.

If it is plan A, I need to make a scout mission to go out there and select a
site for the trailer.  It cannot be where I built before.  Too close to the road.
It may need some vegetation removed so as to be able to maneuver the trailer into
position.  Indeed, an entire pathway may need to be laid out.  The footers for
the posts can be dug out too on this mission.

Plan A can be aborted, if I wish.  If I cannot manage that much of it, maybe
I shouldn't even make the attempt.  Flexibility may be a strong point to that
plan.


Shouldn't Plan A be Plan B?  Since C is the default decision, C ought to be A.

It is A because it is my preference.  But C is the reality.  My preference may not
be feasible.


No comments:

Post a Comment