Saturday, September 8, 2018

off grid post 9.6.18 ( van conversion ??? )

Updated,

9.8.18:

A wild idea.  Is it possible to do a conversion of a cargo van to a passenger van?  It would not be the kind of passenger van that hauls a lot of people.  I could haul five people counting the driver.  The back part would be used for my off grid purposes.  The front part would be for Ubering.

Uber would have to okay the van.   Several thousand bucks would have to go into refurbing the appearance aspect.  Then, you would have the seats that would be added in back.

Would a custom van shop do the job, and for how much?  I wonder.


9.7.18:

It sounds too complicated to do the car in the trailer idea.  Another idea was to use a larger vehicle as an Uber vehicle that can also pull the trailer into town and back.

The insurance wouldn't be much more than now, or so I am hoping.  However, gasoline expense would be more.

Operations wise, I would pull the trailer into an RV place and "dry camp" for a few days while I work.  Then drive home.  I would need to make enough money to cover the costs, or it doesn't make sense.

Not to mention that there would be a large expense in buying another vehicle.  Selling the two I have now would partially cover that, but it would not eliminate the difference.

Original post below:

This post will categorized in the general category of off grid posts.

It will have to become a habit of writing here because I haven't been writing much here until very recently.

Trouble is, how do you make a post out of the littlest things?  This stuff here is little.  But the devil is in the details.

That said, today I learned a couple things from knowledgeable people on matters of importance.  One thing was about insurance, and another was about towing a trailer.

Insurance won't cover a car if it isn't being driven.  Or so I heard.  So, if I were to tow my car on a trailer for purposes of working in a location over a hundred miles away, and I got into a wreck, the car would not be covered under the car's policy.  I would need a separate policy for that, you see.

More expenses.  This does not help.

The second thing I learned was that you shouldn't use overdrive when towing.  You might think I should know that since I drove all those years for a living.  But it wasn't this type of driving.  The reason for concern about using overdrive is that it makes the transmission work harder, and the heat will build up and cause problems.

Saving on repair bills does help.

As a concept, I could buy a trailer that was covered, and it could cost north of 5k bucks.  Then insure it for what I want to do, and I would have to make enough to pay expenses so that it would be all worthwhile.  There may not be enough money in that kind of business to make the concept work.

The reason for a covered trailer is that I could take the trailer with me, plus my stuff.  The stuff would be in the van, and the car would be in the trailer.  When not hauling the car, I could transfer my stuff from the van to the trailer.  While on property, I could live out of the trailer.  A Spartan existence, no doubt, but could that work?

I've been thinking about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment