Sunday, September 9, 2018

Off grid post, 9.9.18 ( multiple topics )

As I have mentioned elsewhere today, I am considering a proposition that may assist me in this project.

Two big stumbling blocks remain.  I think I have a solution for my water problems.  That solution is hauling the water in.  But hauling large amounts is not what I'd like, so I have managed to come up with a procedure by which large amounts of water will not be necessary.  That procedure is radical water management.  I am down to less than five gallons per day.  This has been accomplished over the two year period since I have left Houston.

Two gallons per day means a trip to town to buy the water from one of those water dispensing kiosks.  That is no big deal.  Three five gallons containers will do that trick, and I have the containers already.  I need to make a trip to town once a week anyway, so going into town is no big deal.

The other problem is electricity.  I think I am well on the way to solving that problem with the same kind of solution: radical conservation.  It may be combined with using the assets that I already have, as opposed to buying new ones.  The van can charge up my batteries.   Plus I have a car.

Solar can supplement this resource, which could help ameliorate the cost of burning gasoline.  But I think that solar is highly overrated.  I won't buy a butt load of solar panels and batteries.  Perhaps three or four deep cycle batteries and maybe a six 100 watt panels should suffice.  Even that cost seems extravagant.  Hence the use of the vehicles to recharge.

Sewage may be handled with a composting toilet.   Also, the option of using an incinerating toilet may still be available.  Not likely to dig out a septic tank, as the cost is a concern.

I haven't worked out the construction details for the shelter.  Right now, I am leaning towards a canopy that I could build.  It will shelter the trailer.  I will take the trailer out West, and continue living in it as I have for the last two years.  The canopy will help in climate control.

Bringing the trailer out there introduces a problem, that is the security of the trailer.  I don't like the idea of leaving it out there when I head to town.  So, I will take it with me to El Paso.  I will dry camp in El Paso for a few days each week in order to make extra bucks.

The latest idea is to refurb the van for Uber ops.  If I could do that, it may open up the possibility of selling the car.  The funds from that can go into the van.

Finally, there is the problem of paying down my debts.  The idea I have for that is to sell 20 acres of my 40 acres.  There's an idea for you.  If there's anybody reading this blog who might be interested in buying 20 acres, then I will make it available to you if you're interested.

I would sell it at my cost.  I paid 21k for the land, but it is being financed.  I can obtain funds to obtain the deed, provided that someone is willing to buy up front.

There are details to be worked out for sure.  I am not going to try to swindle anybody.  The price is no higher than what I paid.  I am not asking for the interest I have already paid.  That is, you can have the 20 acres for a little over 10k.

I don't need the acreage, and I could use a neighbor.  That's the deal.

It is a long shot, but I don't have other options.  It's that, or keep it, and be burdened with keeping up with land that I probably will never use.

For the buyer, you get a lower than market price.  You get a neighbor to help you get established, if that is what you wish to do.  If not, my presence on the land may upgrade its market value.  Over time, it may become more valuable and salable.  In other words, it can be an investment.

If you are a long time reader here then you know what I am trying to do.

That's the proposition.  Leave a comment somewhere I can find it, if you're interested.  My email address is  bnoblog@yahoo.com.

I will monitor this address for awhile, but if you don't respond, then I will consider that as being a no.

One more thing.  There is a facebook page as well.  I am on the Sierra Blanca community page, which is private.

Oh, and another thing.  You can comment upon a webpage.  I still get emails from it, but I don't have the webpage handy.  When and/or if I can find it on the other blog, I will post it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment