Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Another run with solar powered dehumifier

8/20/24:

Running this again, but it looks like the same thing. So, I need to make a change.

It needs a ventilation tube custom built to attach to the dehumidifier. Then, the window needs to be fixed up so that the ventilation tube connects directly with it. Otherwise, partially opening the window in order to let the hot air out isn't going to work very well. This is very inefficient, I suspect.

The battery is holding up well. At 4 hours, it was still going strong. I'm going to go for 5 hours this time. The test is still ongoing as I write this. About 9 minutes to go. Incidentally, this easily could be the hottest day of the year so far. I saw a forecast for a high of 106. Don't know if we're there right now, though. Quick update: Nope. It's 104.

8/18/24: This time I ran it over 4 hours. The dehumidifier didn't pull out that much water inside, so that may explain the long lasting run.

I monitored the battery, expecting it to run out of juice after about 3 hrs, like it has been doing. Since it lasted a lot longer, and seemed far away from being fully discharged, I have to scratch my head and wonder what was the difference this time?

If it didn't pull out much water, then maybe it was because it wasn't running the compressor. If it wasn't running the compressor that much, then the battery would last longer.

Not too sure why it wasn't pulling the water out. I collected but a small amount during the 4 hour run.

The read out on the dehumifier said low humidity. But the evaporative cooler, aka swamp cooler, was running. The fans should have recirculated it back to the device, so it should have pulled out more.

Mainly, I'm just happy that the thing didn't run the battery down fast like the last time. The solar panels have been charging that battery for several days with no load on the battery. Maybe it hasn't been fully charged until now.

If it isn't fully charged now, then it will never be. Perhaps that explains the long longetivity. Like I said, I don't know why it lasted 4 hours plus, and could have lasted longer.





No comments:

Post a Comment