Saturday, April 16, 2011

Atlas Shrugged

I read this book in 1993. It was a pretty long book as I recall. I read some of Ayn Rand's other books, but this was the first novel. It has been so long that I have forgotten much of the story.

By way of Al Fin's blog, I checked out the SparkNotes to refresh my memory. I've never heard of SparkNotes. I used CliffsNotes back in the old days. When I say old days, I mean back in the old days when books were on paper. In those days, when you said "browse the web", somebody would have said "wtf?".

I think I may have mentioned this before, so, at the risk of repeating myself, I'll mention it again. I first read about Ayn Rand from one of Robert Ringer's books- "Winning Through Intimidation".

The topic of Atlas Shrugged is current with the opening of the new film this past week. My plans are not to go. I know the story. I have the books. But, more than that, I think I have a way for the "strike" to be successful in such a way that the moochers will have to sit up and take notice.

As you may know, I have advocated Space Colonization. That's where the men of the mind can go to start their new society. Leave this rotten, corrupt world behind, and start anew.

It can't be done, you say? Why not? Everything about space lends itself to the object of freedom. How can any government or political entity ever control space? In order to control a territory, it must have limits. But space has no limits, no boundaries. The problems that space presents are the same problems that are on Earth: you have to find a way to survive and prosper.  Those ways can be mastered in space as well as on the ground.  Space beckons.  All that is needed for this is this: for those who can answer the call, to have the courage to answer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment