Sunday, June 19, 2011

Time to rethink things

There are now over 1300 posts in this blog. It is getting rather big, I'd say. Even with an organizational strategy like categories, this thing is getting big. How can it be streamlined? Especially since I don't have as much time to blog as I did before. Even if I continued blogging full time, as I did before, it would be necessary to prune the blog a bit. Let's say the daily plan is to manage the blog in such a way as to become more streamlined and efficient in terms of time.

One way to do that is to merge it into my own life. I've had those ideas all along, but how far do you take it? Do I blog every cotton picking thing about my life? I think not. Furthermore, I don't want the blog to be about me. Yet, it is inescapable that it has to be to a certain extent.

So, I guess I have to disclose what I am comfortable with disclosing. There aren't any big secrets here, just don't feel the need to discuss that much about myself.

Let's start off with something that has just crossed my mind. I cover some high tech stuff here, and people may wonder, "why aren't you doing something like that?"
Well, I tried, and it didn't work out. I got a job at IBM/NASA as a coop, which wasn't a permanent job, or to put it more bluntly, not a real job at all. But it was an opportunity, and I didn't know how to exploit it. Plain and simple fact. It wasn't because I did bad work, or got bad grades in school, or got into trouble with the law, or used drugs, or anything like that. Just plain and simple thing that may have been surmountable, but at the time, it wasn't.

Still, I could have gotten employment elsewhere. But it was the same story, really. If I knew what I was doing, in seeking a computer career, I could have been successful. I know a lot of things that I might have done better, but I decided not to do them, for one reason or another. I could go into each of these decisions, but I'd rather not. Not need for me to punish myself that way.

Other people might say, in a less than charitable spirit, that I don't really seem to have that much ability. Yet, I seem to be able to keep up with what I am doing here. I feel as though I could have done something on a professional level. It just didn't come together. Maybe that's just the way the old cookie crumbles. By the way, that isn't just fatalism that I am expressing. I am not a fatalist. If there is anything I can do to avoid a bad outcome, I will do it, if it is possible. But by the same token, I have learned to accept things as they are. You have to sometimes, or you will go nuts.

I can go on and on about this story. At times, I thought I was really close to making it big, but it didn't happen. Rather than to go into that, let's just stop there.

Another thing I did was to write software and publish it myself. I did try to get my stuff published, but it was turned down. I published it and it didn't sell.

I tried the markets and just about broke even. Another example of an opportunity that came oh, so close. I mean it was dot com time. Big fortunes could be made and lost. I think I came close to making one trade work really big. Instead, I missed it and got into a bad trade. That's the breaks.

So, you could say that I've done a number of things and made no big mark out there. I really wish I could say something different, but that is how it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment